Saturday, December 4, 2010

Curried Couscous


The beauty of this dish is in how perfectly all of the ingredients meld into a warm, hearty, perfect-for-the-holidays meal or side.

I am an over-seasoner. I can't help myself, but at least now I have admitted it. However, the first time I made this dish I was extremely happy with the subtle flavors of the curry, the saltiness of the cashews, and the sweetness from the sweet potatoes. I had managed to get the seasoning just right, except...I hadn't measured anything. The second time around I measured everything so I could write down exactly how much I used, but the "right" amount kept falling in-between any form of an established measurement (unless a pinch and a half counts?). I decided to err on the somewhat under-seasoned side for the recipe so I suggest starting with my amounts and adjusting for your taste, as always.

1 8 oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
3/4 cup water
1 tsp curry powder 
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1 small pinch cayenne
3/4 cup whole wheat couscous (regular couscous is fine too)
2 oz lightly salted cashews

Preheat the oven to 375 F
Roast the cubed sweet potato on a tinfoil lined, greased baking sheet for 15-20 minutes until they are tender but still somewhat firm
Once the potatoes are done add the water, curry powder, cumin, garlic salt,  and cayenne to a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil
Once the water is boiling add the couscous, cover, turn the heat off, and let the couscous sit for 5 minutes
Fluff with a fork and gently stir in the roasted sweet potato and cashews

Servings 2
Per serving 530 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails