Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kale Chips


I know kale chips are seriously old news but I had to jump on that band wagon sometime! Actually, I had never cooked or done anything with kale (excluding using it as a plate decoration) until last month. Kale is a somewhat leathery green and I never expected it to be transformed so much by simply baking it. This leafy vegetable becomes incredibly light, delicate, crisp, and seriously addicting. The taste falls somewhere in-between brussels sprouts and spinach and I love it. These chips are packed full of magnesium, fiber, calcium, iron, and vitamins A, C, and K. I don't think a snack could be much better for you and taste as good as these.

I actually made a batch of these last weekend but I over salted and burned them. They were pretty bitter and kind of inedible. Hence my surprise when Brad asked if I would make them again this weekend. I had definitely planned on making them again but never expected Brad to be a willing consumer of them. Probably a little too enthusiastically, I obliged and managed to find some beautiful kale at the store. I was determined to make them right this time and make them right I did! I only wish I had purchased more than one bundle of kale because this batch is already gone. I also want to try other seasonings besides salt because I think almost anything would be good on these.

I want to send out the biggest and most sincere "thank you" to anyone and everyone who is reading, following, and commenting on my blog. It means so much to me to hear your thoughts on my recipes. I enjoy, appreciate, and celebrate every comment I receive. Blogging has been something I enjoyed from my very first post but it has quickly evolved into something that I truly love, I also may have developed a slight addiction to it thanks to all the awesome blogs out there. Anyways thank you, you guys are the best!

1 bunch kale rinsed and dried
3/4 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350F

Tear the leaves of the kale off the tough stems and rip each of the leaves into chip sized pieces
Put in a bowl with the olive oil and toss until every leaf is coated

Arrange on tinfoil covered baking sheets
I found that getting them as flat as possible and making sure nothing was overlapping made for much crispier chips

Sprinkle lightly with salt

Bake for 6-7 minutes until they are crisp and bright green. A little bit of brown on the edges is okay but be careful not to over cook them!

Let cool and enjoy

Servings 1
Per serving 155 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails