Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal


Part Two of the pumpkin shortage: it's not quite over yet but I managed to scrape up an organic can of the orange stuff at Sprouts...oh how I love Sprouts, in the absence of a Trader Joe's it definitely suffices. This recipe is simple but it is so warm, earthy, and satisfying that I just had to share it.

I love blogging so much...I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate the comments, how much I adore reading every one of yours posts, and how happy it has made me to meet all of the fantastic people I have met so far.

On this note I want to thank Nicole over at Of Cookies and Carrots for tagging me in her 7 facts awards post. I am really excited to share it and as for my 7 facts...they are very random!
  1. I peel and eat grapefruits like oranges and I eat about 1/2 lb of carrots a week
  2. I hate mayo, vinegar, sour cream, mustard, and cream cheese but I love mustard flavored pretzels and definitely indulge in cheese cake every so often
  3. I am allergic to black pepper
  4. I more often than not leave salt out of baked goods and I can always tell. It's now the first thing I measure when I bake.
  5. I still wear my retainer from 8th grade every night because I am scared my teeth will go back to the way they were before I had braces if I don't
  6. Having a made bed and a clean room makes my day
  7. I am obsessed with abnormally shaped/sized foods (i.e. baby pineapples, elephant shaped ginger roots, and huge grapes)

                             
Oh and remember these mini bananas?!


Anyways...I would like to tag these 7 fabulous blogs, all you guys have to do is: 
-Link to the person who awarded you
-List 7 random facts about yourself
-Pass the award on to 7 other bloggers


Now for the recipe...

You'll have plenty of canned pumpkin leftover to make more oats for dessert or for breakfast.
You should also make these great Pumpkin Carrot Muffins, this oatmeal recipe is a great way to utilize any leftover pumpkin from the aforementioned muffins!

1/2  cup dry rolled oats (instant would be fine too)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
in between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
less than 1/8 tsp each nutmeg and ginger
1 packet Splenda or any sweetener you like
pinch of salt
1 tbsp skim milk
brown sugar

Mix water and pumpkin together in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil
Add the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, Splenda, and salt 
Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the oats are tender, stirring every minute or so
Take off heat and stir in the milk
Top with a little bit of brown sugar 

Servings 1
Per serving 275 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails