Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Enchiladas


I really love enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, all Mexican food really, but getting it at restaurants usually ends with me wishing I hadn't. The veggie versions are always too onion-y and cheesy for my liking. So making enchiladas at home is something I have been doing for awhile and I have made them like this since I was in high school. I know we are biased but Brad and I think these are some of the best enchiladas ever so try them and tell me what you think!

First off I want to apologize...I have a lot to catch up on in the blog world. It has been a very busy couple weeks for me at school and of course that is my first priority. I have had serious withdrawals from the lack of blog reading, commenting, and posting I have done and will be able to do for awhile. I really miss you guys. I hate posting without having replied/commented on all of the fantastic posts I have missed out on but I wanted to share this with you. As soon as I have a moment I will be catching up on weeks worth of blogs (and I really cannot wait)! I also wanted to send out a quick (but big) thank you to Stephanie at the Starving Artist. She gave me an award weeks ago that I really appreciate! She has an awesome blog that you should definitely go check out.

As I mentioned before, I have been making enchiladas this way for a long time. When I was in high school I had a wonderful catering teacher who taught us the trick of dipping the tortillas in the sauce before filling and rolling them (Thanks Mrs. H!).  This is the key to this recipe. It is super simple and leaves you with fantastic leftovers.

A couple of weekends ago Brad and I got to take care of my brother's wonderful dogs in Denver. It was a lot of fun, we took long walks, which as dog-less people we don't do often enough, we ate a lot of fantastic food, acted like 12 years old and played games at Dave and Buster's and...we went into a West Elm for the first time. Big mistake...I loved absolutely everything in that store and had a hard time not spending my life's savings on a couch, pillows, bed sets for every season, and of course dinnerware. I did manage to snag three plates for a really great deal (you will soon see them featured in recipes). My brother is a very busy guy and just doesn't have time to cook for himself so I made him these enchiladas filled with roasted green chiles, cheese, and chicken (yes chicken, that's how much I love him). All in all a great weekend!

I usually use zucchini as my substitute "meat" filler but really anything would be great: another can of beans, mushrooms, lentils, crumbled tofu or tempeh, and if you are of the carnivorous persuasion, meat is easily substituted as well.

10 whole wheat tortillas
3 10 oz cans enchilada sauce
1 can not salt added corn, drained and rinsed
1 can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can no salt added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 7 oz can diced green chiles
1-2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin

3 medium zucchini
1-2 tbsp minced garlic


Sauté zucchini with garlic until tender
Add zucchini, corn, beans, green chiles, chile powder, and cumin to a bowl and gently stir to combine (season more if you see fit)

Pour enchilada sauce into a shallow skillet and heat over low heat

Spray a deep casserole dish (8x13) with cooking spray and spoon a little bit of sauce into the bottom

Dip each tortilla into the warmed enchilada sauce and let the excess drain off
Place the tortilla into your dish and fill with 1/10 of the vegetable mixture
Gently roll and place seam side down in your pan
Do this with the rest of the tortillas, squish them into the pan as needed

Pour the rest of the warmed sauce over the top of your enchiladas, cover with tinfoil, and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly

Serve with cilantro and lime

Servings 10
Per serving (1 enchilada) 225 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails