Sunday, March 27, 2011

Herbed Baked Eggs



Dear Ina Garten,
I haven't always loved you, in fact, your show used to put me to sleep. Recently though, you have completely entranced me with your relaxed style, inspired meals, and gorgeous garden. I envy a lot about your life. I would love nothing more than to eat a meal I thought up while reminiscing about my most recent trip to France in my garden full of herbs and flowers. Alas, that is not my life but I can pretend right? 

I have an absolutely gigantic folder on my desktop titled "Food" so I started with the simplest yet most rewarding recipe from my list compiled under Ina's name. Honestly, eggs aren't always something to be savored but when cooked like this that is exactly what you should do. Once you have soaked up all of the luscious golden yolks with toast you are left with perfectly cooked, parmesan crusted, thyme and rosemary seasoned, buttery, fluffy egg whites. The whole meal takes about 10 minutes to put together and would be ideal to serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch or, as I did, for dinner.

Adapted from Ina Garten's Herbed Baked Eggs

1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp each finely chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley (a scant 1/4 tsp is perfect, dried herbs would work well too just use a little bit less)
2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
3 extra large eggs
1 tbsp skim milk
1/4 tbsp butter or enough butter spray to lightly coat the inside of the dish

Mix the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and parmesan cheese together and set aside for now

Preheat your broiler (make sure the racks are about 6 inches below the heat)
Gently crack your eggs into a small bowl (not what you will be baking them in) be sure not to break the yolks
It's vital to have the eggs ready to go (it's also good to check them for pieces of shell and freshness)

Put the milk and butter (or butter spray) into a small gratin dish and put under the broiler for a couple of minutes until hot and bubbly
Remove from the oven
Carefully pour the eggs into the gratin dish, sprinkle the top with the parmesan, herb, and garlic mixture

Broil for 5-6 minutes until the whites are almost cooked, remove from the oven and let sit for about a minute until the whites are set

Toast some whole wheat bread and serve right away

Servings 1
Per serving (egg dish only) 315 calories

Related Posts with Thumbnails