Saturday, May 14, 2011

Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese


Keeping life simple...that's what is most important to me right now. I just finished an incredibly difficult semester and am about to begin my summer classes, which will undoubtedly be hard. I'm not going to complain because I am excited to get a certain Anatomy and Physiology class over with, but it means I won't have a lot of free time on my hands (again). Recipes that take almost no time at all, but are delicious nonetheless, are ranking pretty high on my list of favorites and this is definitely one of them. Creamy goat cheese is a perfect addition to crisp caramelized Brussels sprouts. The two combine to create a dish that is great for an appetizer or a side.

I do not trust blogger right now (which I think is a common issue after Wednesday's post/comment deleting extravaganza) so I am not going to post anything other than this simple recipe. Hopefully by next week I will feel a little more confident in Blogger's ability to function and be able to have my first giveaway!

I would like to say how incredibly thankful I am that my blog is safe and sound! I would be devastated if something ever happened to it and all of the amazing comments I have received.


so for the recipe...


 I don't think another vegetable divides people quite like Brussels sprouts. They are a controversial subject, people either love them or hate them. However, I urge everyone to give these a try and see what you think!

1 12 oz bag frozen Brussels sprouts (I use the Bird's Eye steam-in-the-bag variety)
1 tsp olive oil
40 g or about 3 big tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
1 tsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 400F
Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and rub with 1 tsp olive oil

Microwave the Brussels sprouts according to your package directions (about 5 minutes)
Open the bag and let them cool slightly

Cut each one in half and place cut side down on the baking sheet you greased with olive oil
Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts lightly brown and get slightly crisp on the edges, gently stir once

Remove from oven and top with lemon zest and crumbled goat cheese
Serve while hot as a side dish or an appetizer

*you can use fresh Brussels: just remove any yellow leaves, wash thoroughly, cut them in half, steam them on the stove or in the microwave, and skip right to the roasting step*

Servings 2
Per serving 170 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails