Sunday, December 11, 2011

Broccoli and Cheese Frittata



The ease with which you can mix only a few ingredients with eggs and bake it into a light and fluffy delicious frittata has been one of the greatest discoveries in my college cooking journey. It's affordable, hearty, and quite nutritious. I am a firm believer that all foods are versatile but you can really put anything into a dish like this, add a crust and you have a quiche, or fold it in half and you've made an omelet! Eggs get me excited, what can I say...

I'll be honest, I made this frittata in the throws of studying for finals but posting it now seems rather timely because I am making it for my parents tomorrow night.
Spending time with my family, sleeping in the room I grew up in, and getting to cuddle with our dogs are only a few of the things that make Christmas break so wonderful...I am one lucky girl


Our Westie Lucy. Who wouldn't be excited to spend time with her?


Few vegetables get along with cheese quite as well as broccoli and this quintessential pairing has always seemed rather indulgent to me. Here I've lightened it up with 2% sharp cheddar cheese, egg beaters, and lots of broccoli.

1 cup egg beaters
4 large eggs
1/8 cup milk or water
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 small onion, grated or chopped very fine
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
2 medium stalks broccoli, florets removed and cut into small bite sizes pieces

Sauté broccoli, garlic, and onion  with olive oil in a large skillet with an oven proof handle- I use a 12" Calphalon pan
*If your broccoli isn't cooking quickly enough add a few tablespoons of water and cover to steam for a couple of minutes

In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk or water, and egg beaters together

Once your garlic, onion, and broccoli are softened pour the egg mixture into your oven safe pan
Sprinkle cheese on top

Keep cooking on the stove over medium heat  
Once it is set around the edges and starts to firm up in the middle put in the oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes until browned and completely set

Servings 4
Per serving 165 calories

Related Posts with Thumbnails