Sunday, April 1, 2012

Simple Bran Muffins


Muffins have become too fancy for me as of late. All these unnecessary, elaborate add-ins. I like them pure. Unadulterated. And these bran muffins are exactly that. Not to say you couldn't use these as a base for fancy nut or dried fruit versions, but they are truly delicious in their simplest form.

One half smeared with peanut butter, the other with honey sweetened greek yogurt. Perfection.

As you may have noticed from my absence, school has been busy and extracurricular activities even busier. I have been stressed and life is complicated, but it is recipes like this that keep me carrying on. Knowing I have an easy breakfast waiting for me in the fridge makes those early 5am mornings to the late 2am nights all the more doable. I hope everything is well with you and hopefully I will have some internship news to share soon.

I scaled this recipe down to make only 6 muffins but you can easily double it for a full dozen if you prefer.

Dry
3/4 cup oat bran
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
(more or less depending on how "spicy" you want them)

Wet
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla or original almond milk
3 heaping tbsp plain non-fat greek yogurt
1 egg
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400F
Line a muffin tin with liners and spray with Pam

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl
In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients

Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, being cautious not to over mix the batter
(If it is too dry add a touch more almond milk or applesauce, too wet: more flour or oat bran)

Let the batter rest for 10 minutes

Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup into each muffin cup
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and they spring back when touched lightly on top

Let cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap, store in tupperware, and freeze for 1-3 months or keep them in the fridge and eat within a week

Servings 6
Per serving (1 muffin): 155 calories
5 grams protein, 4 grams fiber




P.S. I was lucky enough to have received Miriam Barton's Meatless Meals for Meat Eaters cookbook in the mail last week. I will review it soon. (Sneak Peek: I like it!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails